Wearing the wrong shoes at a job that forces you to stand all day can lead to not only excruciating pain, but can also lead to some pretty unattractive foot issues. Believe it or not, corns, bunions, hammer toes and other unsightly foot issues can all be caused by wearing the wrong shoes.
Picking the right shoes can be difficult and frustrating, but this guide is sure to help you. We have carefully reviewed hundreds of shoes and selected 5 pairs of shoes for women and 5 pairs for men that we feel are the best shoes for standing all day in 2017.
Best Shoes for Standing All Day 2017 Reviews and Top Picks
Factors to Consider When Buying Shoes
- Fashionable Yet Comfortable: You should always prioritize comfort over fashion, but sometimes you can find a pair that is fashionable and comfortable.
- High Quality Shoes at an Affordable Price: When buying shoes that you are going to wear all day, you definitely don’t want to be cheap. However, with the proper searching you can find a pair that is both high quality and affordable.
- Raised Heels: In order to properly protect your back and avoid unnecessary pain, you should look for a shoe that has a slightly raised heel. However, do not get a shoe with a heel that is any higher than 2 inches.
- Breathability: Fungus causing athlete’s foot thrives in moist environments, so to avoid this issue look for shoes that are able to “breathe”.
Make Sure You Have the Right Fit
- Roomy: Make sure your toes can move freely and remember that your feet will swell slightly throughout the day.
- Width: You don’t want your feet to feel squished at all. Choose shoes that allow your foot to flex fully and freely.
- Size Up: Going a half size up, or even a full size up, can be helpful in ensuring that your shoes will be comfortable and work well for you. This can also help ease the pain of “breaking in” new shoes.
- Try on Both Shoes: Oddly enough, it is pretty common for your feet to be slightly different sizes, so make sure to try on both shoes. Always buy the size that fits your bigger foot.
- Ask for Advice: If you can, get help or advice from someone working in the shoe store. They can help you know if your shoe is fitting correctly and may have some advice on how to choose more comfortable shoes.
- Shop for Shoes in the Afternoon: Your feet naturally swell during the day, so shopping in the afternoon or evening, when your feet have already swollen, will help you get the right fit.
Benefits of Choosing the Right Shoes
- Less Pain: Choosing the right shoes can ease the pain you feel at the end of the day, not only in your feet, but also in your back and other areas of your body.
- More Energy: According to the Huffington Post, standing on hard floor surfaces for a long time can cause body fatigue. Wearing shoes with proper padding can help decrease the effects of the hard floors on your body, giving you more energy.
Best Choosing by Experts
- Skecher’s Performance Women’s Go Walk 3 – They are made with a mesh fabric, making them the most breathable shoes on our list.
- Clarks Women’s Hadyn Maize Flat – In our opinion, these are the cutest shoes on our list, as they are reminiscent of the Mary Jane style. They are real leather and are also the cheapest shoes on our list.
- Alegria Women’s Professional Alli Flat – Though they are our most expensive shoe. These shoes have a rocker outsole, which helps you to walk naturally.
- Timberland PRO Women’s Renova Professional Slip On – These shoes have anti-fatigue technology and have a 30-day money back comfort guarantee. They are also all white, making them very versatile.
- Allegria Women’s Paloma Flat – These are our shoes with the most design options, with a whopping 37 styles to choose from! If you wear orthotics, these allow you to remove the insole and replace it with your orthotic.
- Timberland Men’s White Ledge Waterproof Boot – These boots were created for hiking, but they also work great for people who work long hours on their feet. They are waterproof, which could make them good for people who work outdoors.
- Dr. Martens 1461 Gibson Oxford Shoe – These shoes are slip resistant and comfortable, yet their classy style could be good for those who are trying to dress up, or those who work in business settings.
- Clarks Men’s Portland 2 Easy Slip On – These shoes are also classy and dressy looking, but they are the most expensive shoes on our list.
- Crocs Tummler Work Shoe – These shoes are the only odor-resistant shoes on our list, and could be worn casually or in a business setting.
- Magnum Men’s Response II 8″ Boot – The cheapest shoes on our list, these boots could be great for those who work outside as they are durable yet comfortable.
Best Women’s Shoes for Standing All Day 2017
1, Skechers Performance Go Walk 3
These shoes slip on easily but will not slip off. They contain memory foam in the heel, which conforms to your heel and absorbs shock. These shoes come in a variety of fun colors, though they also come in neutral colors as well. They are very flexible, allowing you to walk naturally while giving you a full range of motion. You can wash them in cold water and let them air dry, so you don’t have to worry about stains. They fit mostly true to size, though people with narrow heels should consider wearing them with socks since the heels are wider than other shoes.
2, Clarks Women’s Hadyn Maize Flats
These flats are made from genuine leather and come in three different colors: brown, navy and black. The leather is soft yet durable and very comfortable. They have a small heel, measuring about 0.75 inches with a platform measuring 0.25 inches, so they might be a good choice if you suffer from back pain.
With an ortholite footbed that provides cushioning and moisture management, these shoes are anti-microbial and breathable. These factors help prevent foot diseases like athlete’s foot. The Mary Jane style of these shoes is, in my opinion, very stylish. These shoes could go great with a wide variety of outfits and might be a good solution for those women who are working in offices.
The strap helps keep your shoe on your foot, but recommended sizing down about half a size, as these tend to run a bit big. The shoes are also a bit wide, so they could be a good option for people with wider feet.
3, Allegria Women’s Professional Alli Flat
These shoes are also made of leather, though they are priced quite a bit higher than the other shoes on our list. They come in two colors: brown and black and have a design etched in to the leather, giving them a bit of style and uniqueness.
The foot bed is made from cork, memory foam and leather-covered latex, making them comfortable and supportive. The heel is designed to reduce pressure on your heels and central metatarsal. The shoes are flat on the bottom and include a rocker outsole that is designed to help lessen foot pain and body fatigue.
4, Timberland PRO Renova Professional Slip On
These slip on shoes look a bit like a clog and are made from full-grain leather and micro suede. Although they only come in all white, they are stain resistant and easy to wipe down. They have some stitching that adds to the style without making them look too flashy. The toe-box is anatomically shaped, allowing for lots of room in the toe area and allowing the foot to spread naturally and fully. They have a rocker outsole, that reduces foot pressure and fatigue.
They also have special, anti-fatigue technology that offers support and further reduces fatigue. These shoes were designed with healthcare professionals in mind, and therefore may be a good option for nurses, doctors or other healthcare professionals.
5, Allegria Women’s Paloma Flat
These shoes are also made from leather, and are another shoe from Allegria. The insole is comfortable and made with a mix of cork, memory foam and suede. These shoes have a rocker outsole like some of the other shoes we reviewed, and that helps reduce fatigue. They are slip resistant as well.
There are a lot of options for colors and styles, so they might be a good option for someone looking for something a little more unique-looking. The anatomically correct insoles are removable, which means they might be a good option for those who wear orthotics or those who buy gel soles.
Best Men’s Shoes for Standing All Day 2017
1, Timberland Men’s White Ledge Waterproof Boots
These boots are made with premium, high quality leather which increases comfort, creates durability and makes them resistant to abrasions. With a medium arch and a 1 ½ inch heel, these boots are a good option for any foot type.
These boots have a removable EVA footbed that is dual density and helps the shoe feel more comfortable. They also have a padding in the collar and tongue, further adding to their comfort. While wearing these boots, the back of your feet will be protected by the external heel covering. The outsoles are made from solid rubber and work well on any terrain. These boots are waterproof and can be worn in any weather. They work great in warmer weather, as they are fairly breathable.
2, Dr. Martens 1461 Gibson Oxford Shoes
These shoes are made with smooth leather. The PVC in the soles keeps them slip-resistant. The heel is raised about 1.25″, protecting your heel and arches. The extra padding in the footbed helps create comfort and reduce stress on your feet.
They are the shoes on our men’s list that are available in the widest range of colors. The classic style and yellow stitching could make these a good choice for a businessman or someone looking to dress to impress. They are good for wider feet and are so comfortable they can be worn all day.
3, Clarks Men’s Portland 2 Easy Slip On
These shoes are made from high quality leather and mesh. However, they are our highest priced men’s shoes. They have a rubber sole and a 1.5-inch heel, and come in extended sizes and wide widths. This can make them good for people with differently shaped or larger feet.
They have a special Ortholite footbed that add both comfort and support to your feet, which is important when you are on them all day. The mesh on the outside and the synthetic lining on the inside allow for breathability and moisture control, fighting off diseases like athlete’s foot. These shoes are very durable, lightweight and comfortable.
4, Crocs Tummler Work Shoe
These shoes are made with an oiled leather, and are a loafer style. They are classic and versatile. They are lightweight yet cushiony and comfortable. These shoes are also slip-resistant. There are elastic panels on the sides, which allows the shoes to stretch and be taken on and off quickly and easily. They include a sock liner which adds comfort and warmth during the colder months.
5, Magnum Men’s Response II 8″ Boot
These boots are made with leather and textile and are our cheapest shoes. They are both oil and slip resistant, which could make them good for use in multiple jobs. They are lightweight and have mesh and nylon panels that allow for breathability and keep your feet cool. They have good rubber soles that have great grip. They can be used in any terrain and in any weather condition.
The lacing style allows you to quickly and easily change the tightness of the boot, which allows for loosening in the afternoons when feet tend to swell a bit. The insoles are contoured to your feet yet are also removable in case you want to replace them with an orthotic.
After reviewing these 5 products we have determined that the best shoes for standing all day in 2017 for women are Clarks Hadyn Maize Flats. They are the lowest in price of all our shoes on the list, yet are made with high quality materials, meeting our “affordable yet high quality” category.
They provide excellent support yet are very fashionable, meeting the “fashionable yet comfortable” category. They have a slightly raised heel, are roomy, could be good for wider feet and have a strap that help the shoes stay in place on your foot.
For men, the winner is Magnum Men’s Response II 8″ Boot. These boots are versatile and affordably priced. They also provide lots of support, are comfortable and very durable. They could be a good option if you can get away with wearing boots at work.
If you cannot get away with wearing boots at work, our runner up in the men’s section is Clarks Portland 2 Easy Slip On. These shoes may be pricey but they are also durable. The Clarks Portland shoes are breathable and supportive, yet have a classic look.